Consumer Information

The Higher Education Opportunity Act

(Public Law 110-315) (HEOA) was enacted on August 14, 2008, and reauthorizes the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA).

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) contains numerous federal reporting and disclosure requirements for information from various administrative areas of higher education institutions. In order to make this information readily available, Union College has created this website which is designed to provide quick access to this data. The consumer information has been organized in the categories above with links to additional information.

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act

The federal government regulates the sharing of private information regarding students and educational records. Learn more about this law here.

Financial Aid

Requirements for return of Federal Title IV grant or loan assistance

Students are awarded federal aid based on attendance for an academic term and the number of hours enrolled. When you do not complete an academic term (withdraw), federal regulations (34 CFR part 668.22) require that we return any unearned portion of Title IV aid that you received, or may be eligible to receive, based on the number of days attended.

All schools must use the same federally mandated formula in determining the amount of aid you have earned, and the amount of aid that you and Union College are required to return to the financial aid programs. Federal regulations also determine the order of the financial aid programs from which federal funds must be returned.

You are required to notify Record’s Office if you are withdrawing from Union College at any point in the semester. You will receive a letter from the Student Financial Services office notifying you of any federal aid that you are eligible to keep or that you may be eligible to receive (in the event you are eligible for but have not yet received the aid at the time of withdrawal). You will need to read this letter carefully and take any action that may be required.

Please contact the Student Financial Services Office if you have questions regarding the impact of your possible withdrawal on your federal financial aid.

Refund Policy

Union College offers a 100% refund of tuition and required fees should a student drop some classes or completely withdraw from the college on or before the published “Last Day to Add/Drop Classes.” After that date, required fees are non-refundable and the following refund policy applies to tuition.

Refunds for sessions or classes with durations other than the regular 15-week semester will be prorated using the above as a guideline. Federal Financial Aid is prorated based on a calculation prescribed in federal regulation which is slightly different from that used for institutional aid. The calculation determines the amount of federal aid the student earned while enrolled. Contact Student Financial Services with questions about this policy.

This information is also found in the Union College bulletin.


Your Calendar Days


Up to and including Last Day to Add/Drop Classes


days 10 to 19


days 20 to 36


days 37 to 53


54 to 70


Exceeding 70 days

General Institutional Information


Courses dropped between the add/drop deadline and the published withdrawal deadline receive the designation W (withdrawal) instead of a letter grade. After that date, letter grades are assigned based on the work completed. Students considering withdrawal from a course should contact Student Financial Services to determine if financial aid could be jeopardized.

Administrative Withdrawal

The college administration may grant an administrative withdrawal (W) from a course or courses for a student suffering an emergency or unexpected circumstance. Administrative withdrawals are not granted to avoid failing grades or for circumstances normally addressed by a regular withdrawal. A student receiving an administrative withdrawal in all courses must demonstrate evidence of recovery from the circumstances before returning to Union College.

This information is also found in the Union College bulletin.

Athletic Program

Union College offers intramural sports, varsity teams for basketball, volleyball, golf, and an acrosport gymnastics team. Learn more on the Athletics website or find the annual Equity in Athletics disclosure here.

Voter Registration